Whether you are a new homeowner or have lived in the house for a while and want to refurbish it, these ideas to paint a room will come in handy. Bear in mind that wall painting is a not-so-easy yet cost-effective DIY project. But, you do not have to worry too much about whether or not you can do it. If you follow these guidelines, you will have a good result. And if you make any mistakes, they may not be difficult to correct.
This article will reveal the vital aspects of painting a wall. From the preparation to the types of paints and the best colour choice for a room. So, if you want to get your decoration right, read to the end.
How To Prep a Wall for Paint
The preparatory process towards painting your room wall is one of the important ideas to paint a room. It only makes sense that you prepare the wall you want to paint so that your work will be neat and long-lasting. Hence, you need to get rid of the bumps, holes and mildew. Then, smoothen and clean the wall to get it ready for painting.
Importantly, the previous use of the wall usually determines how to prep a wall to paint. A wall that was decorated with wallpaper will need a different preparation from the one that was painted. Nonetheless, the end goal is the same.
Tools for Preparing a Wall for Paint
- Sugar soap
- Flexible filler
- Flexible filling knife
- Stripping knife or orbital scorer
- Wallpaper stripping solution
- Wallpaper steamer
How To Prepare a New Wall
- Firstly, ensure that the wall dries properly. You can observe how the dark areas lighten up. So, when the entire wall becomes brighter, you know the wall has dried properly.
- Next, clean holes, if any, with sugar soap to remove dust particles that may hinder the filler from sticking to the wall.
- After that, fill up the holes with a filler, then smoothen it out using sandpaper
- Then, use a roller to apply a primer, after which you apply an undercoat.
N/B: If you ignore these ideas to paint a room and jump into painting without applying the primer and undercoat, the wall will absorb the paint. Hence, you may have to coat more than you normally will.
How To Prepare a Previously Painted Wall
- Preparing a wall that you wish to repaint is almost as easy as preparing a new wall.
- The first thing to do here is to clean up holes using the sugar soap. Then, using a filling knife, put fillers into all the openings on the wall.
- Wait for the filler to dry so that you can smoothen out the surface using sandpaper.
- Extend the sanding to other parts of the wall where the paint is peeling to ensure that you have an even surface to work on.
- Next, clean the surface using sugar soap to remove dirt. Then, clean with warm water to remove the soap.
- Finally, allow the wall to dry well before you start painting.
How To Prepare a Wallpapered Wall
- Even though it is a lot more tasking, it is better to get rid of old wallpapers before painting than to paint on them. That is how paint a wall for better results.
- Using the stripping knife or orbital scorer, make two diagonal cuts across the wallpaper. Ensure that the cuts are not deep into the plaster.
- After that, soak the wallpaper using a sponge and warm water. Leave for five minutes to soften before removing the wallpaper. For wallpapers with tougher paste, you can use a wallpaper steamer to make the process easier for you. Always be cautious of the sockets and switches when applying these prep ideas to paint a room.
- Next, start removing the paper gently using a stripping knife until the entire surface is bare.
- Remove the tiny pieces of paper that may be stuck to the wall using the stripping knife or sandpaper.
- Then, smoothen out the wall properly using sandpaper
- If there is any dirt or grease on the wall, clean it thoroughly and allow it to dry.
See the articles below for more interesting ways to transform your room
Steps on How to Paint a Wall
- Get the tools and materials you will need ready. These tools should include; paint, paint roller, paint roller extension pole, drop cloths, paintbrushes, paint tray, sandpaper, painter’s tape, rags, and putty knife.
- Choose the colour you want to use
- Measure your room to determine the quantity of paint you will need. Generally, it is expected that one gallon should serve 400 square feet.
- Plan your painting technique. For the best result, paint from top to bottom and maintain the roller in a ‘W’ or ‘M’ shape direction to fill up spaces.
- Clear the work area and remember to open windows and doors for proper ventilation.
- Prep the wall as discussed above.
- Mix your paint to obtain a uniform colour as colour can vary slightly between cans.
- Separate areas on the wall with painter’s tape.
- Remember to prime before getting on with the main painting business
Different Type of Paints
Paints are broadly classified into oil-based paints and water-based paint. Although oil-based paints are more durable and offer a smoother finish, they are not the best option for wall painting. This is because they have low adherence and are less workable compared to water-based paints.
More so, advancements have led to the production of water-based paints that are now more durable and can compete fairly with oil-based ones. Although there are different type of paint, not all can serve as wall decoration. Some of the common paint ideas to paint a room wall are:
1. Emulsion Paint
This is the most common type of interior wall paint. It is durable, easy to use and affordable. Emulsion paints are water-based paints made up of pigment, emulsifier, coagulant, and water.
2. Enamel Paint
Enamel paint is an oil-based paint that can also be used for painting room walls. However, it is mostly used for surfaces that are exposed to harsh weather and other adverse conditions. Also, you should not go for this paint if you are on a budget because it is expensive.
3. Cement Paint
Cement paint is a water-based paint known for its ability to prevent water penetration and reduce dirt collection. It serves well for both interior and exterior painting.
4. Textured Paint
If you are looking for a good replacement for wallpapers, that should be textured paint. It is a water-based paint made up of coarse grains like gypsum, sand; metal, ribbon, lace, leather, etc. Hence, it is great for hiding imperfections on walls
5. Acrylic Paint
One unique quality of acrylic paint is its ability to expand and contract with changes in temperature. This makes it excellent not only for room painting but for the exterior too.
6. Latex Paint
Similar to acrylic is latex paint. However, latex paints do not contain the chemicals that acrylic paints contain and they are more washable than the latter. Also, while latex comes in gloss finish options, acrylic has a standard matte finish.
Best Colors To Paint Your Room
Now that you know how to prepare your room wall for painting and the different kinds of paints you can use, here are some colour ideas to paint a room that can elevate your mood at all times.
- Ice blue
- Crisp white
- Soft grey
- Chocolate brown
- Viva Magenta (2023 Pantone colour of the year)
If you get your preparation right, you may not struggle too much with your painting process. So, as daunting as painting may sound, starting out right makes it less stressful. Hence, we have provided not only the best colour ideas to paint a room, but also an elaborate prep guide. So, it’s about time you redesigned your room wall without further delay.
If you found this guide helpful, kindly let us know in the comment section below.