Style means different things to different people. For some, it is making a bold statement at any opportunity. For others, it is adding the flavour of luxury and class to their home. Regardless of which group you belong to, when you are looking for cheap ways to make your home more stylish, your budget will likely impact your style. However, this does not mean you must completely sacrifice your personality.
Balancing a tight budget and satisfactory home decoration can be daunting. For this reason, we have put together some less personality-selective ideas to help you. This means that no matter who you are or your idea of a stylish home, you can get some inspiration from this piece. Keep reading to discover the idea that best aligns with you.
What Makes a House Look Tacky?
Before we go on to tell you what you can do to improve the style of your home, here are a few things you are probably doing that makes your home tacky. If you stop doing these things and implement the ideas we will share shortly, you will marvel at the transformative look your house gets.
1. Overcrowding: Too much furniture and accessories in a space can make it feel cluttered and chaotic. Give your furniture and decor room to breathe, and only keep necessary items or those that add value to the design.
2. Mismatched Furniture: When furniture styles, colours, and patterns clash, it can create a jarring and disjointed look. Aim for a cohesive design theme and stick to it throughout the space.
3. Low-Quality or Fake Materials: Using cheap and faux materials can give a room a cheap and tacky appearance. Opt for real and high-quality materials whenever possible, even if it means having fewer pieces.
4. Too Many Knick-Knacks: Excessive small decorations and collectables can make a space look cluttered and dated. Instead, select a few meaningful pieces that complement the design.
5. Over-the-Top Patterns: Using bold and busy patterns on everything from walls to furniture can be overwhelming. Hence, you should balance patterns with solid colours for a more sophisticated look.
6. Ignoring Scale and Proportion: Choosing furniture that is too large or too small for the room can throw off the balance and flow of the space. Measure carefully and select pieces that suit the scale of the room.
7. Too Much DIY: While DIY projects can be fun and cost-effective, overdoing them can lead to a mishmash of styles and a less polished overall look.
Cheap Ways to Make Your Home More Stylish
1. Declutter and Organize
You saw overcrowding earlier as one thing that makes your space look tacky. Well, decluttering, the opposite of overcrowding, is one of the cheap ways to make your home more stylish. The cheapest even because it costs nothing but your time and effort, making it one of the most budget-friendly ways to improve your home’s style.
Decluttering allows the beauty of your furniture, decor, and design elements to shine through without being overshadowed by unnecessary clutter. So, before spending on other styling options, organize your space and see how much its appearance improves. See some easy decluttering tips that can help you get started.
2. Go Minimalistic
The maximalists may not fancy this idea, but it is a great way to style your home on a budget. Minimalism emphasizes simplicity, clean lines, and the strategic use of design elements. It creates a sense of sophistication and elegance while reducing the need for excessive spending on unnecessary decor.
Here are a few ways you can incorporate minimalism in your home:
- Choose a neutral colour palette for your walls and larger furniture pieces
- Invest in high-quality, well-crafted furniture and decor pieces rather than filling your space with cheap and disposable items
- Be selective with your decor. Choose a few statement pieces that reflect your style and personality
- Minimize the use of busy patterns in your design. Opt for simple and clean lines instead.
- Choose furniture with dual functions, such as storage ottomans or multi-purpose tables.
- Keep decorative accessories to a minimum, and let the few you choose to stand out on their own.
However, if you insist on being a maximalist, read on for more ideas on cheap ways to make your home more stylish without compromising your personal taste.
3. Use Contrasting Paint on the Doors
By using a contrasting paint colour on the doors, you can instantly elevate the style of your home without a significant investment. It’s a fun and creative way to add personality to your living space and make a lasting impression on visitors. Some of the paint colour combinations you country are:
- Navy Blue door with a Light Gray wall
- Olive Green door with a Cream wall
- Charcoal Gray door with a Beige wall
- Gold door with a Soft Pink wall
- Navy Blue door with an Ivory wall
- Deep Red door with a Light Beige wall
- Mustard Yellow door with a Soft Gray wall
- Turquoise door with a Pale Yellow wall
When choosing contrasting colours, consider your home’s overall style and colour scheme. Take into account the natural light in the room, the size of the space, and the existing decor. Test paint swatches on the walls and doors to see how the colours interact with each other in your specific environment before making a final decision. This will help you find the perfect combination that enhances the style and personality of your home.
If you are looking to improve the appearance of your home, you may also find these articles helpful
4. Don’t Leave Out the Windows
Your window also lets you style your home on a budget using the curtains. You see those homes with wide curtains or drapes that hang close to the ceiling and the floor that did not happen by chance. The homeowner was probably looking to achieve two things with that technique. Firstly, to create the illusion of higher ceilings and larger windows. While the second is to make the room appear more spacious and elegant. And you will agree that it works every time.
So, if you are looking for cheap ways to make your home more stylish, you can implement this technique in your home. The visual impact of this simple technique can make a big difference in the overall style and atmosphere of the room.
5. Switch Up Chair Fabric
Improving style doesn’t always have to result in buying new things. In this case, you can switch up your chairs to make your desired statement. Updating the fabric on your chairs allows you to breathe new life into your furniture and add a stylish touch to your home without the expense of purchasing entirely new pieces. It’s a budget-friendly way to customize your furniture to suit your evolving design preferences.
If you love DIY projects, here’s another one to keep you busy. Otherwise, you can contact a professional to help you make the change.
6. Wallpapers Over Paints
Sometimes, we love bold colours. Other times, we prefer a more neutral look in our home. Imagine having to repaint your home every time you change your mind. Or every time the trends made you change your mind. That would be a lot of work and money too. Using wallpapers instead is less hectic and also one of the cheap ways to make your home more stylish.
7. Use Accessories Mindfully
Being mindful of the accessories keeps your budget in check and allows you to create a more curated and stylish home. You need to select a theme or a cohesive style for your accessories. It could be anything from coastal to Scandinavian, vintage to modern. Sticking to a theme will create a more harmonious and fashionable look.
Also, you can use accessories strategically to create focal points in a room. Choose one or two eye-catching items to draw attention and build the design around them.
Another way you can make the most out of your accessories is by rotating them. Change up your accessories periodically to keep your decor fresh and exciting. Rotate items seasonally to reflect the changing ambience.
Wrapping It Up
There you have it. Seven creative yet cheap ways to make your home more stylish. The idea is to ensure your home does not look cheap because you are on a budget. Neither do you have to sacrifice personal style and preference for less expensive options. So, the ideas we have discussed are some of the few budget-friendly ways to style your home without losing the chance to add your personal touch to it.
If you found these ideas and tips helpful, kindly let us know in the comment section.