How To Study Interior Home Decoration, Earn and Settle in Canada as a Nigerian.

If you are wondering how to study, earn and settle in Canada as an interior home decorator in Nigeria, the good news is that you are one step in the right direction. You have been able to define your career path which is interior decorating. Now, to be able to achieve your dream of moving to Canada and settling there, we have provided you with the information you need and things to be mindful of as you plan your immigration process. Take time to read through so that you do not miss out on important details.

These guidelines are applicable to people who intend to relocate to Canada by themselves or with a partner. All you need to do is make provisions to accommodate your partner in your plans. Provided you can take care of both of you, you stand a fair chance of studying, earning and settling in your dream country.

How To Study, Earn and Settle in Canada as a Nigerian Interior Home Decorator

How To Study in Canada as a Nigerian Interior Home Decorator

If you are considering how to study, earn and settle in Canada, the first step to crossing over is to get admitted into an institution where you can study interior home decoration. Other plans can follow while you are in the country.

1. Research and Choose a Program

Start by researching Canadian universities or colleges that offer Interior Home Decoration or a related program. Ensure the program is accredited and suits your career goals. For instance, some schools may offer a diploma, but not a Master’s degree. So, you need to check for the institution that offers the kind of credentials you need.

Also, do well to confirm that the school you intend to apply to is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). A DLI is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. You can confirm this on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

2. Check Admission Requirements and Gather Documents

Review the admission requirements for the program you’re interested in and get all necessary documents ready. Although there may be slight variations in requirements depending on the school and program, below are some general documents you may need.

  • High School Diploma or Equivalent: Most Interior Home Decoration programs in Canada require applicants to have a high school diploma or its equivalent. You may need to provide transcripts or certificates to demonstrate your secondary education. For post-graduate study, you may need to provide your diploma or degree certificates and transcripts.
  • English Language Proficiency: Since the primary language of instruction in Canada is English, international students may need to provide proof of English proficiency. Commonly accepted English language proficiency tests include IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge English exams. So, ensure you take the required language tests and achieve the minimum scores specified by the institution.
  • Academic Prerequisites: Some programs may have specific academic prerequisites or recommended courses, such as art or design-related subjects. Review the program’s requirements to ensure you meet these prerequisites.
  • Portfolio: Many Interior Home Decoration programs may require you to submit a portfolio showcasing your design skills and previous work. The portfolio should demonstrate your creativity and design abilities.
  • Statement of Purpose (SOP): Write a statement of purpose explaining why you want to study Interior Home Decoration, your career goals, and how the program aligns with your aspirations.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Some institutions may request letters of recommendation from teachers, employers, or mentors who can speak to your qualifications and potential for success in the program.
  • Transfer Credits (if applicable): If you have completed relevant coursework or have prior education in a related field, you may inquire about the possibility of transferring credits to shorten the duration of your program.

3. Apply to Institutions

The next important step in how to study, earn and settle in Canada is to apply to the universities or colleges of your choice through their respective online application portals. You should apply to more than one school to increase your chances. Pay attention to application deadlines, as they can vary by institution and program. Once you’re accepted into a program, the institution will send you an official acceptance letter. This letter is essential for your study permit application.

4. Secure Finances

Calculate the cost of tuition, living expenses, and other fees. Ensure you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Canada. If you will be going with a dependant, make sure your funds cover for the person as well. When you have secured your finances, the next thing is to obtain proof of funds. You will need it to apply for a study permit. Some common proof of fund options are; bank statements, scholarships and financial awards, Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), etc. Choose the option that is best for you.

5. Apply for a Study Permit

Apply for a study permit through the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website or a Visa Application Center (VAC). You will need the documents listed below. In some cases, you may be required to attend an interview at the Canadian embassy or consulate in Nigeria. Be prepared to answer questions about your study plans and intentions to return to Nigeria after your studies. Study permit requirements include;

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • Passport-sized photographs
  • Visa application form
  • Statement of purpose (SOP)
  • English language proficiency test results (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL)
  • Educational transcripts and certificates
  • Proof of ties to your home country
  • Police clearance certificate
  • Medical examination results
  • Biometrics fee receipt
  • Family information form
  • Consent letter (for minors travelling alone)
  • Any additional documents requested by the Canadian visa office

6. Wait for Study Permit Approval

After submitting your application, you will need to wait for the study permit approval, which can take several weeks. Be patient and check the status of your application online. Once your study permit is approved, start preparing for your journey on how to study, earn and settle in Canada. Book your flight, and make arrangements for your initial stay in Canada.

7. Maximize Your Time on Campus

To be able to work and earn Canada after school, you need to start making the right decisions while in school. Firstly, working while in school is a good way to gain the necessary work experience to increase your employability after school. You can also consider seeking internships or co-op opportunities related to Interior Home Decoration to gain practical experience. As you approach graduation, research post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) and explore options for staying in Canada after your studies.

Below are important factors to keep in mind if you wish to work on campus while studying.

  • Full-Time Enrollment: Ensure that you are enrolled as a full-time student in an eligible program. Part-time students are generally not eligible for on-campus work.
  • Wait for the Eligibility Period: International students are typically eligible to work on campus once they have started their full-time studies. You may start working on campus during your first semester.
  • Check Work Hours Limit: As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, international students in Canada are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time (unrestricted) during scheduled breaks (e.g., summer, winter, and spring breaks).
  • Maintain Good Academic Standing: Most institutions require you to maintain good academic standing to be eligible for on-campus work. Make sure you meet the academic requirements of your program.
  • Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN): To work legally in Canada, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can apply for a SIN through Service Canada once you arrive in Canada.
  • Find On-Campus Jobs: Search for on-campus job opportunities through your institution’s career services, job boards, or by contacting relevant departments or faculty. Positions may include work as a library assistant, art studio assistant, administrative assistant, research assistant, etc.
  • Be Aware of Tax Regulations: Familiarize yourself with Canadian tax regulations, as you will need to file income tax returns for any income earned in Canada. You may also need to apply for tax benefits or credits.

How To Earn in Canada as a Nigerian Interior Home Decorator

After completing studies, the next step in how to study, earn and settle in Canada is to get a job. The typical route to start working in Canada as a foreign student is via the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). So, when you are applying to institutions, make sure that the program is eligible for a PGWP. Not all designated learning institutions and not all programs of study make you eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. You can find more information on eligibility from the IRCC website.

To be able to obtain a PGWP and start working in the country, here are certain things you need to do:

1. Complete Your Program

First, ensure that you successfully complete your Interior Home Decoration program from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. You must complete a program that is at least eight months in duration to be eligible for a PGWP.

2. Verify Eligibility

Confirm your eligibility for the PGWP. To be eligible, you must have studied full-time and have a valid study permit when applying. The length of the PGWP you receive will depend on the duration of your program. But it is usually up to three years.

3. Apply for PGWP

You can apply for the PGWP within 180 days (approximately 6 months) of completing your program. To apply, visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and complete the PGWP application online. You will need the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Study permit
  • Passport-sized photos
  • Official transcript or certificate of completion from your institution
  • A copy of your program’s DLI number
  • Proof of payment of the appropriate application fee

4. Wait for Approval

After submitting your PGWP application, you will need to wait for the IRCC to process it. Processing times may vary, so check the IRCC website for updates. You can also monitor the status of your application online.

5. Start Working

Once your PGWP is approved, you can start working full-time in Canada. The PGWP allows you to work in any job and change employers freely. Use your PGWP to gain relevant work experience in your field of study. This experience can be valuable if you plan to apply for permanent residency in Canada through Express Entry or other immigration pathways.

How To Settle in Canada as a Nigerian Interior Home Decorator

Settling is the last phase of how to study, earn and settle in Canada as a Nigerian interior home decorator. If you wish to live in Canada permanently after securing a job, you need to apply for and obtain permanent residency. There are different options available, but here are some common ones:

1. Express Entry System (Canadian Experience Class – CEC)

The Express Entry system is a points-based immigration system that assesses candidates based on factors like age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and adaptability. If you have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry.

2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Many provinces in Canada have their own Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) that offer pathways to permanent residency for foreign workers. Some PNPs have specific streams for international graduates with Canadian work experience, making it easier to transition to permanent residency.

3. Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP)

The AIPP is a program aimed at attracting and retaining skilled workers and international graduates in Canada’s Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador). If you have a job offer from an employer in one of these provinces and meet other eligibility criteria, you may apply for permanent residency through this program.

4. Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

The RNIP is designed to encourage immigration to smaller communities in Canada. If you have a valid job offer in one of the participating communities and meet their requirements, you can apply for permanent residency through this program.

5. Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

If you have completed your studies and gained work experience in the province of Quebec, you may be eligible for permanent residency through the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ). This program has specific criteria for graduates with Quebec experience.

6. Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If your work experience, education, and language skills meet the requirements of the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under the Express Entry system, you may apply for permanent residency. Work experience gained on a PGWP can contribute to your eligibility.


When planning on how to study, earn and settle in Canada, it is important to analyse the eligibility for every stage from the beginning. This means that even before you start processing your study permit, you should check and know the factors that will make you eligible for PGWP and permanent residency. This way, you can follow the right path all the way and avoid mistakes. For instance, you should know that part-time programs are not a good option for you if you intend to get a PGWP after school.

Also, if you need further clarity on any information, do not hesitate to visit the official IRCC website or the Canadian embassy or consulate in Nigeria to get the information you need.


Sophie is a creative content writer. She loves knitting words together, you can call it writing. She is also a certified Anatomist who is passionate about health and healthy living. She's on this project to share health and lifestyle tips with our readers.

Related Articles

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: